Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Wilton's Flower and Cake Design Course

After 4 weeks of the basic course, we stared right up again with 4 weeks of the second course...flowers and cake design.  As much as I learned from this class, I found this lesson plan was less challenging.  But don't get me wrong, that is not a complaint.  We learned the fundamentals (and finickiness!) of Royal Icing, basketweave, some new boarders, an introduction to gumpaste (my favorite!), molds and of course practiced our roses in buttercream and royal icing.  Among the flowers we learned how to create were pressed button flowers (from a mold), pansies, apple blossoms, primroses, rosebuds, daffodils, violets and a lily.  It was during these 4 weeks that our classmates really got to know each other, and it became fun to talk to each other about our experiences with baking and decorating.  For our final, we had to prepare our royal icing flowers ahead of time so they could properly dry, and had the option to design our cake as we wished with flowers and basketweave.  Helen especially was fond of my basketweave ability!  I made a 2 layer white cake from scratch with my grandmother's homemade raspberry jam as a filling.  I loved the way my cake turned out, and I was able to sell it the next morning to Jason's Deli for a birthday celebration for one of its employees! It got rave reviews I might add...

 ...my variety of royal icing flowers I prepared ahead of time.  I made a lot because I hadn't decided how I was going to design my cake...

...I made orange roses, yellow daffodils, pink primroses, blue apple blossoms, purple violets and white lilies with artificial stamens and hand painted green accents...

...Final project! Buttercream icing with edible royal icing flowers.  This was really my first word piping that I had done (and believe me, practice makes perfect!), and I absolutely love the way I arranged the flowers.  I wish I had a picture of my incredible basketweave! I did a shell boarder on top and bottom...

No comments:

Post a Comment