Sunday, August 14, 2011

The 2am Cake

My baby sister Valarie graduated from college last December, and I went to visit my family in Missouri to celebrate and attend her graduation.  I had been thinking to myself it would be nice if I could make her a celebratory cake...my Mom must have read my mind because she asked if I could make something nice for Val.  Of course I was more than excited to do so! At this time, I had never decorated such a cake, and I wanted it to be something no one in my family had seen me do before.  Mom and I got on the internet, picked out several designs, and I made a plan of colors and sizes and gathered my how-to.  It was at this point I realized how intensive cake decorating really is - I never thought about the use of dowels to make certain stacked cakes more sturdy, or realized the importance of  a cake board, or how many individual materials was needed for what I thought was a 'simple design'!  Being in Camdenton, MO and having little time to prepare, my only option for supplies was the local Wal Mart, which thankfully was stocked with what I needed...I guess I am so spoiled here in Denver with my Michaels, Hobby Lobby and Cake Crafts at my fingertips!  My Dad sure helped me out, making my cake board, cake level guides, and cutting my dowels and graduation cap top out of his shop.  I could tell he was just as excited as I was!  The night before we left for Cape Girardeau for Val's graduation, I got to work baking 3 different boxed cakes (chocolate, vanilla and sprinkles) in the sizes needed, and made and colored my buttercream frosting.  That alone was work, phew!  I assembled, shaped, sculpted, frosted, piped, molded and created my first occasion cake, which took me a total of 6 hours or so.  I will never forget how my parents reacted with excitement the next morning, seeing my masterpiece for the first time!  We crafted a make-shift cake cover, and set out for the 3 hour ride to Cape. 

I decided we would present the cake to Val at dinner that night at the Italian restaurant she picked out.  My family, which included my wonderful parents, my sister Korrin, my brother Shane, my Coon grandparents, and Hardman grandparents, were all present.  Dad and I left the table after dinner, went out to the truck to get my cake, and came inside to surprise Val.  And surprised she was! (...as well as the entire restaurant, might I add!) This was the point when I realized I knew I wanted to create beautiful cakes more often, because seeing her face light up and the feeling I got when I presented Val with my cake I made JUST FOR HER was AMAZING!  I couldn't wait to dig in and give everyone a piece - people always ask me if I feel bad/sad for cutting up my hard work, and NO! I cant wait for people to enjoy it with all their senses, not just seeing its beauty! 

Needless to say, the cake tasted great, but I have come A LONG WAY since then!  Everyone has to start somewhere!!!  I am sure proud of my first cake, and I am glad my family was able to share it with me on Val's special day! 




Valarie studied Spanish and Anthropology, and planned on returning to Madrid, Spain, to teach after graduating.  The top layer was sprinkle cake shaped into a graduation cap - Red was her school colors.  The cap board was covered in fondant, and I rolled out the tassle in fondant.   The second layer was vanilla cake with homemade raspberry jam filling, made into a Spanish book.  I hand piped the individual pages out of buttercream.  The largest layer was chocolate cake and my first attempt at chocolate buttercream.  It's shaped as a World Atlas, as Val is quite the traveler these days!  The diploma is rolled fondant with a fondant ribbon.  Before this cake, I had never really piped with different tips, or used so many colors, or even played with fondant!  

2 comments:

  1. This will always be my favorite cake of yours!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I kinda want some sprinkle cake... I LOVE sprinkles! You did an AMAZING job (of course) on this cake!

    ReplyDelete